Monday, March 24, 2008

Fitness Jason

I am resolving to make a change. By putting it on the blog will come some accountability. I am going to try and lose 1 lb a week until the end of Summer.

The lifestyle of the professional pilot makes healthy living difficult, but not impossible. April 3rd will mark the beginning of my 2nd year at Continental. The first year has taught me that Continental is just like any other airline. For the moment, and until I get more seniority, I will spend 61% of my days and nights on the road.

I was in my physical prime in H.S. Nice high metabolism, swimming miles a day. I put on about 15-20 Freshman year of College. Probably about 5 lbs each subsequent year in college. 10 more when I got married. 15lbs of flying weight. My weight has been within 5lbs of that for the past 5yrs. So 50lbs more Jason since my physical prime in H.S. I am looking to get rid of my flying weight and at least half of my marriage weight by the last day of Summer, September 21st.

Currently, if I am lucky, I get to the gym 2 times in a week, but usually just once. Seeing as it is Spring, I shouldn't be in situations that rely on a good hotel gym. That is besides the point, I may have to get creative, but I will workout.

Please share with me your tips. I am all ears. Here is my plan. It may not seem like much initially, and it may not be enough, but here is my start!

For the first 4 weeks, I will be exercising every other day, but no less than 3 times a week.

and NO! Hustling through Atlanta Hartsfield or some other enormous airport doesn't constitute a workout (Recently I have been applying that logic just b/c I break a sweat.)

Workout: 30 minutes of cardio (running, swimming, biking) whichever is available.
30 minutes of cardio weights. Low weight high reps. Hit all muscle groups, but a lower concentration on legs (initially)

Eating is tough period. Weird hours, limited selection. My big change for the first 4 weeks is... Monday-Friday H20 only. I think I am drinking way more Coke than I think I am. But not totally cutting it out, weekends only.

So initially we are talking 3-4hrs a week, and a little diet change. This all boils down to commitment.

I am waiting to see if I got this terrible stomach bug, but I plan to be starting fitness Jason no later than Thursday.

2 comments:

The Canada's said...

I think I have equalized over the past 5 years. So, initially I was thinking that if I increase my caloric burn, convert some fat to muscle, and ditch the high sugary drinks, I will get that 500 calorie deficit.

Anonymous said...

You can do a lot of squats, lunges, push ups, & crunches in the hotel room. If, you are in a good size hotel, hit the stairs! Skip steps and do calf raises as you go up the stairs. And, eat a good breakfast. That will set the tone for the day for your metabolism.