Friday, February 08, 2008

Product Review/Endorsement: NINTENDO Wii


Last night Lindsey and I, mostly me, invited ourselves over to our neighbors house. They told us they got themselves the Wii for Christmas. Maria and Mike are in their 40's with no kids, totally cool/nice people, but probably not your typical "gamers."
This was our first Wii experience, so the buildup and anticipation were high, and we were not disappointed! First we had to create Mii profiles. We created avatar's that looked like ourselves, hilarious. This also was our first chance to use the controller. After we gave birth to our Mii's we were ready to try out a game. We first played baseball. I was up to bat and Lindsey pitched first. We started getting the hang of it by the second inning. Lindsey almost hit a home run! We ended the game in a tie scoreless after the 3rd inning. Next up was bowling. We were in fierce competition until the 4th frame, then I started picking up spares. Lindsey charged back with a strike, but it wasn't enough. My comfortable lead gave me a chance to try spinning the ball in the last couple of frames.. very realistic! Then came the part where I broke a sweat. Boxing! I didn't know what I was doing and just started throwing haymakers as fast as I could... to no avail. As my heart rate was increasing my performance was decreasing. Mike quickly took me to the mat twice. I tried to slow down and pace my punching. This was fruitful, then I landed a nice uppercut and took him to the mat. This must have angered him as he got up and Mike Tyson'd me with two more knockdowns. I got TKO'd. Whew, I was sweating and needed a break!

We took an intermission from sports to have some dessert. But it was short lived as Mike and I took to the links. It took me about 5 swings initially to figure out how to make contact with the ball, but when I did, Tiger Woods entered the building! That's right, I got PAR on the first hole. The second hole.. triple bogey, but overall my scorecard was the lowest at the completion of our short game.

We started to wrap up our Wii time with the neighbors and hadn't tried out the Tennis, which I am sure could be a battle royal between Lindsey and I!

Overall I give this 2 big "thumbs" up! Mostly because gaming isn't about just the "thumbs" anymore, it is interactive and physical. You can't help but laughing as you play because it is your Mii picture on the screen. During baseball all the other Mii's that have been created on that game console are on your team as well! If there is a big purchase in my future, I am hoping this would be it. I also recommend you get one as well so I can invite myself over to play.

3 comments:

Melanie and Scott said...

Wii is awesome!! We have one ourselves. It's very addictin! :) I'm glad ya'll had a blast.

Anonymous said...

We took one to the beach this year with our small group. The guys stayed up late playing and were sore the next day!! I have some great pictures of them boxing. I played Tennis for a little while - too much fun!

Scott said...

Dude, you guys have to get one. I finally found one after a couple of months of calling every electronics store in town. We just got it on Monday of last week. I have never seen Carmen this excited about a video game. We had friends over last night and played for about 2 hours. Plus, you can connect to your wireless network and send your mii's to go visit your friends' consoles.