Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Product non-dorsement

First off let me say that I stay in a lot of hotel rooms. In a typical month I sleep far more in a rental bed than I do my own. I think anyone in this industry would be qualified to be a hotel critic. What I find oddly enough is that we are usually treated the worst by hotels. They look at us as freeloaders, not paying personally. They have a contract with the airline, and anything else they do is just extra and not required.

I find that logic funny seeing as I get asked almost as much about hotels as I do where to buy an airline ticket. Occasionally you come across a hotel that doesn't just treat us like occupants, and treats us like guests. They have no idea how much I appreciate when that happens.

I say this right before I am about to body-slam a particular brand of hotel. So by all means if you disagree please post! In fact I am begging you! Because the Radisson, for the most part, is a hotel that treats us good!

Have you ever slept on a "sleep number" bed?

If you have not, unfurl a blow up mattress either yours or your neighbors and overinflate it and lay down. Wallah! You are probably at sleep number 75. When I check in, I always ask for a room with an old fashioned mattress. The last thing I want to feel like, is that I am away from home on a blow up mattress.

So, if you have used one, how long did it take for you to figure it out... Oh it requires you to lie down then push the up or down arrow. When you release the button it gives you a number. I think it is actually a psi rating. So very little air in the mattress, but you weigh 250lbs gives you a sleep number of 75, put a 100lb person on the mattress, sleep number 30.

Each side of the bed adjusts which gives a nice "speed bump" right down the middle. Let me also talk about the peaceful jet engine noise that happens as you adjust your sleep number. To me, as it fires up, I think that I need to put my uniform on and go to work. Nothing like a nice whizzing air compressor by your head just before sleep.

Better yet, you go to bed early because your van time is 4:30 AM for the 6AM departure from LA to NYC. The guest next to you checks in around 10 pm in the room next to you. They discover "Wow Sleep Number Beds, I always wanted to try one!" They unsuccessfully try to grab the remote and push buttons. They read the little card and then start going to town trying to "find their sleep number." This is no fault of their own. You have to do something to try and make the air mattress comfortable. This may take awhile.. So I am awoke by the whizzing of the air compressor, then the air brake psst psst psst and they start letting some air out. Nope too much. WHIZZZZZZZZZ. Psssssst. Psssst. WHIZZZZ. Psssst. There 80.

Well one side is adjusted, but the other person will adjust there side after they finish taking a shower in 30 minutes.

Now go try a "heavenly bed" at Doubletree!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

we have a sleep number bed and it saved us a lot of disagreement in selecting a mattress, because one wanted firm and one wanted soft. we only adjust it, at most, once a year. i am not 100% satisfied, but it works for us.

loved your story though...esp. hearing neighbors adjusting their beds...yikes!

The Canada's said...

Yeah for a real life testimony of someone that affirms liking the mattress! Maybe my medium firmness preference (right down the middle) is my problem with it. I can see if you were definitely firm and spouse definitely soft this could be a life saver.

My next question would be whether the hotel version is the same as the home version???

Tracy said...

Don't get me wrong, I do love all the pics of Lakyn, but I have really missed your commentary, Jason. Welcome back! Tracy