Folks, tipping is OUT OF CONTROL!!
I wish we were more like countries where tipping is NOT customary. People get paid for the time they work, and they do a good job or they don't have a job anymore. Lets talk about the 15% rule. My belief is that in America our work ethic/pride isn't as high or something. The thought is, if your pay is attached to performance/service than you will get better service. So it is about making good money -or- that person who is bad will not make much money and will be driven away by not making good tips. (Mind you, I was a waiter at Applebee's.)
I see this logic being applied more and more liberally. Are employers getting that cheap? Should I go stand at the door of the airplane with a jar that says, "please tip if you enjoyed your safe flight," while you exit? Why not? Tips are also beginning to be expected and not earned. I.E. US Park at the Detroit airport has a tip jar affixed by the driver of the vans. However, due to work comp injuries (posted in the vans) you are responsible for getting you bags on and off, the driver does not get out of the seat. So what are you tipping for?
I can tell you EXACTLY what is customary for tipping in these instances (hotel, rental car shuttles, etc.) This is my life as I am in a hotel 18 days of the month. A minimum of $1 per person or $1 per bag. That is why the shuttle/van people are grabbing your bag from you. This $1/bag is also what to tip the guys that are hustling for your luggage at the cruise ship port, that is how they make their money, by hustling.
At full-service restaurants I tip 15%, min $2, average or good service. If service is too slow and you have a problem with it, talk to a manger, don't take it out of the tip, it could be a kitchen problem not a problem with your waiter. However, you are NOT obligated to 15%. If it was pathetic service, it deserves a pathetic tip.
Now to some gray areas... Buffets, self-service where they still expect a tip. What is proper? Some of these Chinese buffets are only $6-7 bucks. 15% would be just about $1. That is what I leave when I am serving myself. It works best when there is 4 or 5 of you at lunch so after the "troughing" there is 5 bucks on the table for them getting you dirty plates/refills. It feels cheap if it is just you, but it is right.
Here is one that shocked me recently! I was in LGA, East Elmhurst, NY, and I ordered Papa John's off the internet (we don't have any restaurants near the hotel.) At the end of the order Papa had the option of adding the tip to the order. Mind you they add a delivery fee of $1.50 (I have seen as high as $3) on top of the order. So if the order is $20, they add tax and delivery fee so now its $24 they then suggest a 15% tip of $3.60 for the driver and ask if you would like to put it on your credit card or pay it in cash to the driver. Total $27.60, WOW! In the end, 27.5% of stuff you are paying is not the pizza.
I DO NOT endorse a 15% driver tip. I give either a $1-$2 (usually $2 with inflation these days) but I feel the 15% application is not correct. Plus, I am starting to check the order before paying. I have been burned by not doing this. I have had not what I ordered 25% of the time. The other prob is the when the driver has crashed your pizza. Better to know that before you tip!
I DO NOT LIKE TAKING CABS... How are you supposed to tip? Again Why? Have you ridden a taxi lately, it is CRAZY EXPENSIVE!!!
Monday, May 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
The one I don't get his hair dressers - especially the ones I take Levi to. I mean, seriously, it takes them less than 10 minutes to cut his hair.
As, for the drivers not getting out of their seat because some have hurt themselves moving bags, the railroad is the same way. In my department we are not to lift anything over 50 lbs, and they just banned all pocket knives because someone cut their hand. But, we are allowed approved box cutters. I always thought most razor blades were sharper than most pocket knives. We can't change tires on company vehicles either. We have to call a company that has been contracted to do it for us.
Jeremy that is reactionary mgt, mgt by memo, or mgt by insurance... any expression will do!
50lbs yep, understandable.. but who does have to move the over 50 stuff? Over 50lbs at the airline gets tagged team lift.. So if a ramper hurts himself trying to load an over 50lb bag by himself, they will deny his workmans comp claim.. NICE!
Flight attendants aren't supposed to load bags in overheads for pax. In fact I had one not too long ago who couldn't put her own bag in the overhead and was telling the other FA's that she HAD to use the fwd closet. (I don't think she should be allowed to fly if unable to perform her safety actions if called to do so, and not being able to stow your bag would qualify as unable to perform to me.)
Bottom line to the no luggage touch van driver, no tip for you... Just like I don't run to the front end of the subway car to tip the train driver.
That's the kicker, if it is under 100 lb then two people can move it. For the most part though a crane or forklift is used. What cracks me up is in two other departments you have to be able to lift and change what we call knuckles on cars and locos by yourself. They are about 85 lbs. We don't have workmans comp, so that is pretty much why we are ruled to death.
As far as tipping goes, I had my truck washed yesterday and the whole time I was thinking about tipping or not tipping. I had one dollar bill and some quarters. The lady finishing up my truck after it came through the tunnel really did a good job, and she jumped on every little spot I pointed out. I thought to myself that brought my vehicle to a "car wash", so it is job specific. Should I tip? I gave her $2. What do you think?
Tipping is now being stretched to all service industries. I don't know that I would have tipped, but it would have crossed my mind (which is where in lies the problem.) There are way too many times now I am asking myself should I tip?
TIPPING IS OUT OF CONTROL IN THIS COUNTRY!
Jason,
Total agreement. Tipping allows restaurant owners to get out of paying a fair wage. I would just as soon add the tip into the cost of the food and not deal with it. I just read Glenn Beck's chapter on tipping in his book, "An Inconvenient Book." You would love it (the chapter and the whole book).
Post a Comment