Sunday, June 25, 2006

CRASH!


Our Hard Drive Crashed on Friday. So I am back online with an older computer (Blake's) that luckily we had in the basement. Who could have known what a pain this is.. all the applications and things we had... gone.. Pictures... gone... Documents... gone.

The computer was dying a slow death. The "blue screens" and "frozen" screens were occurring more and more. Ryan had just recently installed the backup driver so I could restore my CD burner and start saving data in-case this traumatic event was to occur sooner than later. It happened with my pants around my ankles. I learned far more about the mechanics of computers and BIOS etc than I ever care to again.

Since this was my first personally experienced crash let me relive it with you. Turned on the monitor and the screen saver was frozen. I wiggled the mouse and noticed a sound. A very methodical tick tick tick like a loud clock. 5 mins later the screen in black and says "Insert Boot Diskette" I obliged and the computer basically asked what Hard Drive? There is not one installed? RIP Dell 4100, its been a good 6yr run.

However, we are back online but in the slow-lane. So backup your stuff so you don't loose memories.

2 comments:

The Pates said...

Oh, that stinks so bad!! Did you loose all your pictures? We keep our pictures on the computer that I brought into the marriage and it came very close to taking all those pictures to the grave. Derek was able to get it back up and running, but it scared the pants off me. I hardly ever print pictures off anymore, so all the pictures from the past 5 years or so are on the computer. Not to mention the hundreds of pictures from our childhoods that we scanned onto it. My sympathies!
By the way...is it a problem on my end that I can't see the picture with this story?

The Canada's said...

They are trying to do a "data recovery" for us at Comp USA.. It has been 2 days and they haven't called. Probably not a good sign.

Yes, all the digital/saved pics gone. :-( If we had even used an online service like snapfish at least they would be recoverable from there.

Oh well lesson learned.