Sunday, July 13, 2008

In and Out

Lots of stuff, good, bad, and indifferent going on up here. Here is some updates.

-We had a check-up for Lindsey/Deuce, about 32 weeks-ish. The OB was asking about my job security and a rash of crashes. She was measuring Lindsey then stops and says, "you will be taking off work by the 38th week? Right?" Read into that what you will, but maybe an August baby...


-Lakyn has definitely become a lover of water (pools) and slides.


-We went over to the start of the Celtic Festival and Highland Games on Friday in Saline, MI.


-Lakyn loved the horses for the jousting.



-Our dancing queen isn't shy, and liked the Celtic music. (the little boy loved Lakyn and kept dancing and running around with her)






-A sword????





-1/4 Scotch, 1/8 Scotch




-Daddy brought a surprise cookie cake to momma's VBS class on her birthday. I loved it so much that I dug the empty container out of the trash for a few licks of icing.



-Maybe we will attribute it to "nesting," but Lindsey and I spent the beginning of this rainy Saturday in our basement rearranging. We really want to finish the basement, but for now the wallet and decreasing home values are saying "NO!" We hadn't been watching our budget to tightly but started realizing there had to be a hole somewhere. Basically we have just noticed our typical costs have skyrocketed.. probably up at least 20%-30% It is killing us! Other than food and energy costs incresing, being based/working in Cleveland so I can drive 2hrs 15mins to work is nice, it is just expensive at $4/gallon plus a Toll road each way in Ohio. Anyway, the basement is done shabby chic, but looks nice. Lakyn loves playing down there. (Maybe we can survive another MI winter with two babies!)


-On the aviation front (cue the violins and cheese, I'll provide the whine) not much good happening. Most major airlines have announced major cutback including mine, Continental. I got a letter in the mail that always brings anyone pause. So as always, I make sure to have a plan B, C, and D. The Lord is where I try to put my concerns and have confidence always. While I don't think this will affect me, it is always a little more serious when you have a family to provide for, and are expecting one right when the hatchet is supposed to drop. I was also given a humble reminder of how serious what I do is. I lost an acquaintance from my old employer, USA Jet, to a crash while landing in Saltillo, Mexico (video.) The next day another cargo airline based in Ypsilanti, MI, that I have a ton of friends working for, crashed a 747 just outside of Bogota, Columbia just after takeoff. The ultimate price to pay just trying to provide for your family. Crazy, and very very sobering.


I wrote a 5 page long post about what, in extreme detail is going on in the airline industry, the role of fuel, and how it personally impacts me. But until I can at least get Lindsey to read it, I won't bore you with it on here. Be looking for it soon.



Needless to say, we have had a lot on our minds lately. Off to work! (In and Out my last day of the upcoming trip in LA!)

4 comments:

Alison said...

Thanks for the update! Oh, how I wish you all were closer so we could hug your necks while you deal with all this! Hang in there and Lindsey, keep that baby inside you a few more weeks! :)

Also, loved the Seinfeld circular refrence to "In and Out".

Joy said...

Hang in there Lindsey -- those August pregnancies are tough!!!

Keep the updates coming and we are thinking/praying for you guys!

Jonathan and Janie said...

Well, Jason, despite what is going on on the job front, I'm doing my part to keep you employed! I'll be flying Continental again on my return to the States - Aug. 1. Let me know if you'll be in Newark then!

Exciting stuff about #2!! Hopefully, I'll be close enough by then to come see you all!

Kendra said...

Ya'll have a lot going on! Glad for the update! That was a lot of info. I love the pictures of Lakyn dancing. She and Hallie would have so much fun together!

Lindsay--you are just too cute pregnant! :o)