TWO THUMBS, no make that two ARMS down for BORAT!
Folks do not see it. In fact, do not even waste your time renting it. In fairness I can only offer review to the portion I saw before walking out. Believe it or not, the rest of my flight crew walked out as well (even the one that wanted us to go see it.) As the only laughter in the first 5 mins came from some 15yrs old... wait, what were 15yr olds doing in there?
It is supposed to be an reverse-comedy. You know be acting as an guy from Kazakstan, he is in fact making fun of them. His stick is that taking advantage of people whom thought he was really a reporter from Kazakstan trying to learn more about life in the USA. By doing this he gets people to say things they wouldn't normally say. He puts the people who were very gracious to him in a very negative light.
Look, I like very stupid immature comedies. Maybe not as much as I used too. But when the element of humor is completely based on defacing another I don't find that funny. One of the few times in my life that I went to a comedy routine the guy was bombing so he started picking on people in the crowd. That just isn't funny. Now go the self-loathing route and you have a much better chance at getting a laugh.
So back to Bor-ing-at. The movie theater in Louisville was not surprised at all when we came out and asked to be switched to another movie. She added that there have been a high number of people doing the same. I wonder if when I was younger I too would have been laughing, but the truth is there was nothing like this coming out in the movies 10 yrs ago, and even if there was I can remember them coming through at the start of movies and checking stubs of the younger looking people with a flashlight which usually caused a mass exodus before the stub checker made it to your row. But say I still was able to get in, it still would have been below my humor level. I just don't think sex jokes about 7 yr old boys would have gotten me laughing.
If you like the politically incorrect stuff, and by that I don't mean Rush Limbaugh, but going so far out of bounds that you get to see peoples on-screen reaction to being grossly offended, then this will be up your alley. In turn we went to see the new Bond flick Casino Royale. It was a new twist to Bond, written more to the female audience. But in the end, he learns why this is bad and goes back to the old school Bond.
I definitely recommend Bond as a go-see, especially if it comes down to that or Bor-not.
Saturday, December 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment