
Sorry there is no picture update of Lindsey. I wish there was, because then I too could see how big Lindsey is getting.
I am in the middle of a 16 day trip. I am not a big fan of any schedule that keeps me on the road more than 7 days in a row. For the first 12 days I am flying between Louisville, KY and Omaha, NE. My weekend stop was in Omaha. Unfortunately for me it became an extended stay. My weekend has turned into 6 days. Somewhere in Omaha I managed to pick up a case of Severe Food Poisoning.
What exactly did I get? The doctor didn't know or care, the treatment for my symptoms were the same, get me hydrated.
It all started Monday at 2:30pm with not feeling so good. It then progressed. By 3:30pm the floodgates were opened in all directions. I have unfortunately had food poisoning before so I recognized what was going on and figured after a couple of "waves" it would cease. Seeing as I was supposed to fly that night I called the captain I am with and asked if he could give the company a heads up. By 4:30 it was getting worse. I had the Captain grab me some beverages and yogurt in an effort to make it all stop. By 5:30 I made the decision to go to the hospital. I got checked right in around 6:30. I couldn't walk due to the cramps. In talking to the Doc my lips split and started bleeding. He had a nurse get me 2 liters of fluid via I.V. Too bad it took 4 attempts to get a vein.
After my 2 liters were in me, in about 1 hr, I still felt terrible but no more vomiting (which was the goal of the doctor.) He gave me another shot and finally gave me some water to sip on at the end. He sent me on my way after 6 hrs and said to "deal with the rest of it in my own bed." Boy do I wish that was a true statement.
24 hrs later and I was still fighting it, but now I am back to normal. So tonight I will finally get out of Omaha, well at least for a while.
Anyone else ever had food poisoning? Lets here it! While I don't know what caused this one I do know the sources of my others:
Jack in the Box- Honolulu, HI
Taco Bell- Denver, CO
dented can of Hormel Chili- Cheyenne, WY
and eating BBQ after it sat in 90+ degree temps all day in TN
****UPDATE****
After I got back from my overseas part of my trip (Ireland/England) I learned on the news that they were discovering an E-Coli outbreak in the Midwest, Iowa to be more specific. (My hotel was in Council Bluffs, IA just outside of Omaha..) I enquired about more detail and was contacted at home by the FDA. They inferred and correlated from my symptoms and locale that I probably came in contact and dealt with E-Coli. They had already checked the hospital I stayed at to see if the did some sort of "plate" that looks for viruses, but they did not. They wanted to know everything I had eaten in the previous 48hrs to getting sick, especially where I had eaten produce. So yes, I am now part of the growing statistic of people whom contracted E-Coli.

No comments:
Post a Comment