Well it is time to let the proverbial cat out of the bag. We have a walnut. So we are calling it Wally. That works for this stage of development, but not for very long...
If you aren't getting it yet, Lindsey and I are going to be parents! If you don't have much time here is the short and dirty. It is due 2/9/2007. 1st heartbeat was on 6/16/2006. On Friday 7/28/06 we will be 12 weeks along. S/he weighs about 14 grams and is approximately 3.54 inches in total length.
So here is the extremely long over drawn out dramatic version. We had been trying for about 6 months before success. It couldn't have happened at a weirder time. It was the one month where schedules, events and what not, weren't going to permit the proper timed magic (oh yes there is quite a complex science to all this.) End of April early May was pretty hectic for us. I f you go back and check out the blog you will see sleepovers, family reunions, family visits, and graduations. Nonetheless, success!
A few weeks later we were having the big Canada family reunion. That weekend, actually that day, there was reason to believe that this was not our month. We were not surprised because our "timing" was off. I was flying a line at work that I wasn't enjoying. The person whom I was flying with was making me hate my job... every agonizing second of it. Well about a few days after the reunion Lindsey mentioned that she was feeling weird and was thinking about taking a test. Well I had just gotten in from a hellacious day at work and had to fly out that night to Laredo, TX (I wasn't looking forward to it.) I concurred with Lindsey taking a test the next morning. I went on my trip. It was just as bad as I expected. When I got home from Laredo the next day I was starting a much needed week off. I was dragging my beat-down self into the house at about 4:30AM. I got to the top of the stairs and on the door was balloons and a sign that said "guess what?" I completely forgot about the mention of the test the day before. Lindz was laying in bed wide-eyed waiting for me to open the door. Gidget was excited too (or maybe she was just glad I was home.) We talked for about an hour before being able to fall asleep.
We went to the general doctor that night who confirmed our suspicion was true. He referred us to the OBGYN. A week later we went in for the first real appointment with Dr. Espy. We quickly learned that we weren't this centers first baby, and they were well versed and used to people whom are pregnant. I felt a bit like a cattle being hearded around and having questions hurled at us at the speed of light. About 30 mins later we were out. Lindsey was minus some blood and dignity (I am sure you ladies understand.) I did not like the experience at all.
Because of some questions we answered at the first visit we caused a flag to go up. We were labeled as a "threatened" pregnancy. So the following Friday we went in for an ultrasound at the hospital. This at first was turning out to be a negative situation. We were a little stressed about the whole threatened thing. Well the Ultrasound-tech did not make the situation any better at first. Before the visit we were at peace with whatever outcome may occur. That was the the whole problem though, we weren't getting any feedback good or bad. She told us at the beginning she was not a doc and could not comment about the ultrasound. Immediately my blood pressure went up (but not as high as Lindsey's bladder pressure, they need a full bladder for the ultrasound.) I thought we were going to the ultrasound to get answers to end our stress. Instead we got the silent treatment!! I asked, "Is that the baby on the screen?" Answer, "I can't answer any questions." More time and clicking goes by. I ask, "Can you at least tell us if you see a baby is there?" Answer, "I can't answer any questions." Now I am so frustrated I can't speak. We came for answers, or so I thought! Finally as she was finishing up she says, "there is your baby." "It looks normal, proper location, and proper size for 7weeks." She explained that if there was a problem we would have immediately seen a doctor, and even possibly surgery. But what we did see was miraculous. It was 1cm in size but had vaguely distinguished body parts (head and torso.) The heartbeat took your breath away. At just 7 weeks it was beating furiously away. I can't believe we could see it.
Funny note: The tech took the ultrasound at a couple of different angles. The one angle, when she finally ended the silence, you could see head, torso, and heart fairly clear. The other angle was just a circle and blob. She was very kind to print us off a pic. Unfortunately it was the "blob" view. We had no fear about putting that on the fridge b/c there isn't any way someone could have come by our house and figured out what it was a picture of...
Lindsey went back again a week later for the more casual sit down with the Nurse for a Q&A session. She got lots of information at that visit. They scheduled us to come back on 7/24 for a checkup.
Today we went in for the 12th week check (end of first trimester.) We tried to hear the heartbeat but couldn't get it. She said it was a bit early. We go back in 4 weeks and should definitely hear the heartbeat then. Mid-September we will go for another ultrasound.
Lindsey has been overall feeling pretty good. She tires out quickly in the evening and has had a few episodes of sickness. We can just barely see a bump starting to form. So clothes are getting tight!
Please keep us and "Wally" in your prayers. Thank you for being in our lives!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday, July 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Yea!!!! I just hope that you guys are back in Nashville by the time Wally is born so I can come visit. I know...long shot, but there is hope, right?
Congratulations! I know you are both excited. We’re very happy for you.
Post a Comment