
I can't believe what someone just said to me ... out of the blue! Maybe I am getting old, or maybe he was just getting old... Let me just tell the story.
I finally made it home after almost 3 weeks away! So I went downstairs and was going through the mail. There is an opened envelope that has "Legal Document Enclosed" stamped in red on it from Washtenaw County. I asked Lindsey about the contents and she handed me the letter and said our neighbors were very mad about it. I read the vague letter about the water drainage issue somewhere in our water district. I did not miss the part where it said if the project gets the green light I will be footing the bill. It said to attend a hearing for more info and to voice your opinion. Well the date is on an out of town date for me, so I decided to call the number on the sheet that says to call if you have more questions. So I called.
For anonymity purposes I will change his name to Richard. I called up and told him I wanted the "Cliff Notes" version of the issue at hand b/c I couldn't make the meeting date b/c I would be out of town flying. He responds with a "much ado about nothing" and how the laws are from 1920 and out of date. Well I asked for more specific issues about the problem such as the location of the problem, and potential location of said repair that I could potentially be paying for. He answers and then I ask about any liability for those that planned the community. I must have reached my 3 question limit. He then says if you will go to our website you can read the Drain Code/Law. Well I kept asking questions and he started in with more H20 language that was well above my head. I kept asking "What does that mean?" b/c he wasn't talking in lay terms but more of hydro-engineering lingo.
So I said, "Ok, thank you for your time. I will call the township about the impact studies from when they planned the community." He then asks, "Can I ask you a question?" I thought he was about to give me a nugget or gem of info! "Who do you fly for?" he says. I told him and he states "Good!" I asked him, "why do you ask?" He then says I know that must be cargo and will never have to fly on a plane you are flying! I almost fell over! "Excuse Me!" I blurted out! I asked, "what did my asking questions about this issue warrant a personal attack on me and my abilities as a pilot. I thought we just had a very productive phone call and even thanked you for your time!" He said nothing. I cordially ended the phone call again and hung up.
What the HECK-FIRE was that?!?! I couldn't believe that my tax dollars pay Richard's salary! So I looked at my letter and saw two names on the letter head. I called back and left them voice messages to tell them about the super-rude experience I just had calling their office. I don't mean ill-will toward Richard, its just you can't talk to people and say things like that.. Well I guess you can, and he did. What a Richard (no offenses to all the good Richards out there.)

5 comments:
Well, if you need any analyses of the "hydro-engineering" terms, I can counsel you. We will get you up to date on your water knowledge, and next time you have to talk to this bozo, you'll be Mr. H20 Man. Take that, federal employee!!
Snot-nosed brat. Richard, that is. Not you. And you're right. He is a richard. Heehee.
--UPDATE--
I just got off the phone with the Drain Commissioner. She said that she wanted to apologize about the comment but also wanted to let me know that "Richard" didn't mean it like that.
I accepted her apology and asked what did he mean by "he was glad he would not be riding on a plane that I fly." She then said, everyone has a bad day and this was out of character for Richard. She did not want anyone getting bad customer service when they called and he had been spoken with.
I guess case closed (except for the fact they want our community to pay for a huge drain project.) I could blog on that as well, but it is far more boring than getting insulted on the phone.
"he had been spoken with"... aka...they laughed about his oh-so-cleverness and she slapped his wrist so she could say something was done about it.
I don't care how bad your day is going, you shouldn't insult a person like that. Stupid Richard.
--Update #2--
Another phone call was received, this time from the Chief Deputy Drain Commissioner. It is good to know that they take insults seriously. I still have to laugh at the whole situation. It was just the comment/insult took me so off guard. It is not like we had a heated discussion, I just asked a lot of questions and must have annoyed him.. just pushed a button of sorts somehow. (How can a water conversation get heated anyway? Maybe like in the Scooby Doo cartoons I was on to something. My questions about Master Planning for Draining in a community went too far!) Plus my ignorance of hydro-engineering he just didn't have time for.. And we all know that a good pilot is up on local water draining code.
Post a Comment