
About to land on runway 25L (left) at LAX. That is the Pacific Ocean at the end.
I took this picture right before we started descending into LA. (It shows we are going .81 mach, 81% the speed of sound, groundspeed was 550 knots, 630mph, and we were at 36,000 ft altitude, about 6.8 miles up.)

The Grand Canyon (from out the right side, 6.8 miles up)

The end of the Grand Canyon and some mountains just to the east of LA.

2 comments:
I noticed you are going Mach .81... is this as fast as they will let you fly in this particular aircraft? I've just been doing some work with aerodynamics lately and was curious.
That is our most economical cruise speed for temp, altitude, winds, etc. The airplane can fly uninhibited up to .85. Above that overspeed warnings go off to prevent us from getting into mach-tuck.
However some crazy test pilot did go mach 1.03 in a dive during the boeing douglas competitions to get more aircraft sale during the late 50's
Post a Comment