It was 9:00 pm Saturday night and I was turning off NASCAR and preparing myself to endure "The Family Stone." This was day two of the 2-day Blockbuster Rental. Then it happened, my reprieve, the power goes out. Lindsey actually got mad (those who know her well know this alone is feat enough to be blogged) as she declared to me "I am so mad I could cuss." I even got her to spell out the very famous Hubert word that popped in her head. It led to a little laughter, but she was truly upset.
Here comes a segway from this little ditty. A random power outage would not rattle Lindsey, but last year we endured about 10 outages in the summer while the streets all around us basked in their nicely lit world, we sat in darkness (usually in the basement might I add, but I digress.) This lapse of power is either number 3 or 4 for 2006. I'll let Lindsey tell you what happened to her during one of the other power outages. So we are on the power company's frequent power outage complaint list. It is just part of life on Roxbury! However the neighbors have all had enough, and what was particularly frustrating was we had just been told at a neighborhood meeting that the problem was resolved, and there would be power for all streets in 2006.
I decided to take a look out the window and see if it was just our street, and there were the people one street behind us watching TV. I chuckled and Lindsey said "what" with a tone that said a lot more than just one word. I decided honesty to be the best policy, "you don't want to look out the window." She very emphatically repeats "I am so mad I could cuss," followed up with, "it is not funny, call the power company." You see, if there is one thing other than reality TV that she holds dear to her heart, it is watching movies. Interestingly enough, that now ranks very low in my life, but I like to take the time for a movie (rental or dollar movie only) occasionally. Thank goodness for Becca, Jen, Chrissy and others who have helped me help Lindsey with her movie needs while in Michigan.
So I realize all this hostility can be avoided! We have one of those portable DVD players! So a little romancin' might be in order and we can watch "The Family Stone" in bed. This idea comes crashing down with, "the batteries are dead," coming from her pouty lips. The only other option I have is to get the car adapter out and go sit in the car.. 5 mins later we are bundled up in additional clothes, with Gidget, a bag of Fritos, and bottled water enjoying the movie from the 1997 Dodge Stratus parked in the confines of the dark garage. Now that is how to spend a Saturday Night!
The power came back on at 7am.
Monday, May 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Linds...you need to go to television anonymous... ;-)
Um. Teresa...did you mean to mispell that?
Post a Comment